Friday, July 12, 2013

Intro by Melinda


Hi! I’m Melinda. I can say a lot of things define me, but being sick is not one of them.  It greatly affects my life and how I live it, but I wouldn’t change this journey for anything in the world. I am recently engaged to an amazing man.  I am the mother of 4 beautiful boys and an incredible (soon to be) step-daughter and I am living with Sarcoidosis. A little over 5 years ago I was diagnosed with not only Sarcoidosis, but Neurosarcoidosis as well. At the time I was an incredibly active mother of overly energetic boys, I worked as a cardio instructor and had fairly recently started a career as a personal trainer.  I was in the best shape of my life…and very, very sick. I ignored it for months until one day it just flat out kicked my ass. On New Year’s Day of 2008 I ended up in the Emergency Room and on Valentine’s Day I had my first surgery.  Happy Holidays!!!  From there I started a myriad of anti-fungals, steroids, and then on to chemo and Biologic infusions.  I will never say it has been easy.  In fact at times it’s been a living hell, but after 5 ½ years of saturating my body with pure poison, I’m doing it my way.  Like Aubrianna said, we’re not doctors, but we know what has worked and is working for us and hopefully it will give you some ideas and some relief to know you’re not the only one out there.   As I said before, Sarcoid doesn’t define me.  What it has done is given me a sense of caring and compassion that I would never have otherwise.  I’ve been through a lot over that past decade and I can honestly say it has made me a better person.  Call it cliché, but I appreciate every day that I am given and I truly appreciate the life that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment